Filed under: Capitalism, Democrat Corruption, Economy | Tags: Democrat lies, Government Motors, The Car Companies
Mitt Romney’s new book, No Apology” The Case for American Greatness apparently makes the claim that “government is calling the shots on every major decision at GM, including which plants to expand and which to close.”
According to long-time Detroit newspaperman and political cartoonist Henry Payne:
White House spokesman Matt Lehrich told the Detroit News: “While the president will continue to monitor the taxpayers’ investment in these companies, he has enough on his plate to have no interest in running them. Decisions and management are handled by the company alone.”
Payne lists the ways in which Washington isn’t running GM.:
- The Obama administration forced GM into Chapter 11 last March and rejected its first restructuring plan as inadequate.
- The Obama administration fired GM CEO Rick Wagoner.
- The Obama administration appointed new GM board chairman, Ed Whitacre.
- The Obama administration forced GM to reverse a decision to build its new small car in Asia. To satisfy UAW demands, the car will be built in Orion Township, north of Detroit.
- Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) strong-armed GM into keeping open a facility slated for closure in his district.
- Congress has balked at GM’s dealer streamlining plans, passing a law requiring dealer arbitration.
- And just today, the Obama administration GM announced that it would discontinue the gas-hungry Hummer.
Makes sense to me. Once again, Obama’s ideology trumps the facts. He believes firmly that oil and gas are dirty and evil, that “clean green” policies will save the planet, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. Or perhaps it is just payback for the environmental organizations that supported his campaign. The Chicago Boys are very big on paying back your supporters. It’s called “crony capitalism.” Used to be called “graft.”
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment