American Elephants


Photoshopping the Awkward Truth by The Elephant's Child


(click to enlarge)                                                   (by daveman at FreakingNews.com)

Hard at work.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation —”I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and
will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

A splendid editorial in the Winter issue of The Claremont Review of Books begins:

At a press conference shortly after the 2008 election, President-elect Obama was asked if he was appointing to his administration too many Washington insiders and retreads from the Clinton Administration, including Hillary Clinton as secretary of state.  Not at all, he replied.  The important thing was that the change the American people had voted for would be infused into his administration form the top down.  Le changement c’est moi! I am the Change, he said in effect. “Understand where the vision for change comes from, first and foremost.  It comes from me.”

Editor Charles R. Kesler went on:

Last year’s theme was”win the future,” a wingless phrase belabored at least nine times in the [state of the union] speech.  This year’s was unstated but obvious: win the election. Last year’s argued that to win the future, Americans have to reinvent themselves, accept that most manufacturing jobs are gone for good, and accede to “the demands of a new age,” which means re-educating the workforce for careers in high-tech fields like “biomedical research, information technology, and especially clean energy technology. …In this year’s message, his top priority was to resuscitate American manufacturing: and “built to last,” a phrase from Chevrolet ads, became his new mantra.

Obama sent his budget up to Congress, late for the legal date, and voluminous. It was promptly declared DOA amid expressions of horror at the contents. Federal budgets are by definition political documents, but really! There’s a remarkable amount of sleight of hand — savings that won’t happen, savings counted once again that have already  happened, and monumental tax increases. The “fair share” theme again. Any individuals or business owners making more than $200,000 or$250,000 for couples are the 3% of taxpayers Obama says are not paying their fair share, although that 3% pays more in income tax than the rest of the other 97% of the population.

This year, Obama predicts that spending will increase by $193 billion to $3.8 trillion or 24.3% of GDP. Built to last indeed. The budget eliminates the Opportunity Scholarships for kids in Washington DC’s dysfunctional schools— which literally save poor kids — and increase the subsidy for $41,000 Chevrolet Volts, the ObamaCar that nobody wants, from $7,000 to $10,000.  The Volts are a presidential embarrassment, and he’s got to get rid of them somehow.

Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, described Obama’s budget as “a nervous breakdown on paper.” It was also described as a “Monument to Irresponsibility.” It will not pass the House, and Democrats in the Senate will not bring it to the floor. As people wade through the pages, it will be food for a continuing flow of comment. It is a campaign document. And all that “Preserve, Protect and Defend” nonsense — nevermind.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: