Filed under: Capitalism, Economy, Foreign Policy, Freedom, History, Politics, The United States | Tags: Celebrating Mob Rule, Democracy Is Just a Process, Freedom Is More Important
David Harsanyi is a nationally syndicated columnist and a senior editor at The Federalist. I have been following him since he was in Colorado. He has a new book just out with the delightful title: The People have Spoken (and They are Wrong): The Case Against Democracy.
Harsanyi sat down with Reason TV’s Nick Gillespie to talk about what he has against Democracy, why we put too much weight on voting, and why praising democracy is just celebrating mob rule.
“Democracy’s just a process that reflects the morals and ethics of the people who vote,” he said. “It doesn’t guarantee you freedom—just check out the Gaza Strip or Egypt or anywhere else.”
It’s a fun interview with a lot of food for thought. As Winston Churchill said “Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.”
Share this post!
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment