Filed under: Environment, Global Warming, Junk Science, Politics, Religion, Science/Technology | Tags: An Important Timeline, Climate Is Going to Kill Us!, From Heat or Cold
This is quite wonderful: Watts Up With That has a brief history of climate panic and crisis… both warming and cooling.
For at least
114 120 years, climate “scientists” have been claiming that the climate was going to kill us…but they have kept switching whether it was a coming ice age, or global warming.
(A timeline of claims follows, updated to 2014)
- 1895 – Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again – New York Times, February 1895
- 1902 – “Disappearing Glaciers…deteriorating slowly, with a persistency that means their final annihilation…scientific fact…surely disappearing.” – Los Angeles Times
- 1912 – Prof. Schmidt Warns Us of an Encroaching Ice Age – New York Times, October 1912
- 1923 – “Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada” – Professor Gregory of Yale University, American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress, – Chicago Tribune
- 1923 – “The discoveries of changes in the sun’s heat and the southward advance of glaciers in recent years have given rise to conjectures of the possible advent of a new ice age” – Washington Post
- 1924 – MacMillan Reports Signs of New Ice Age – New York Times, Sept 18, 1924
Don’t neglect to read the whole list. Hysteria and calm, panic and crisis — often contradicting themselves.
- 2012 – Global warming close to becoming irreversible-scientists. “This is the critical decade. If we don’t get the curves turned around this decade we will cross those lines,” said Will Steffen, executive director of the Australian National University’s climate change institute, speaking at a conference in London. Reuters, Mar 26, 2012
- 2013 – Global-warming ‘proof’ is evaporating. The 2013 hurricane season just ended as one of the five quietest years since 1960. But don’t expect anyone who pointed to last year’s hurricanes as “proof” of the need to act against global warming to apologize; the warmists don’t work that way. New York Post, Dec 5, 2013
- 2014 – Climate change: It’s even worse than we thought. Five years ago, the last report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change painted a gloomy picture of our planet’s future. As climate scientists gather evidence for the next report, due in 2014, Michael Le Page gives seven reasons why things are looking even grimmer. – New Scientist (undated in 2014)
ADDENDUM: Here is a great roundup of columns from the New York Times and The Washington Post and a few others demonstrating the changing views of climate from 1895, 1912, 1922 through 1976. Should be enough to allay any fears you might ever have entertained. Great fun.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment