Filed under: Cool Site of the Day, Energy, Environment, News of the Weird, Science/Technology | Tags: Kamokuna Geology, Kilauea Erruption, The Hawaiian Islands
Here it is, pouring into the ocean in a spectacular stream.and here is a report from the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory showing the collapse of the cliff at Kamokuna in all of its stages. Fascinating. Probably more than you ever wanted to know about a a Hawaiian volcano that you may never see. Beautiful but scary pictures and a clear explanation of what has happened. A great geology lesson.
Filed under: Bureaucracy, Democrat Corruption, Domestic Policy, Election 2016, Freedom, Humor, Media Bias, News of the Weird, Politics, Progressives, The Constitution, The United States, Women | Tags: Lack of Meaning, No Substance At All, Vulgar Signs
The Women’s March, or Marches, were certainly the subject of Sunday’s news. Everybody was curious to know just what that was all about? It was clearly a Far-Leftist screed, far more carefully planned than was understood. But what were they opposing?
The women who were marching were responding to a tape of a “locker-room” conversation that was recorded unbeknownst to Mr. Trump, in which he engaged in a remark about the tendency of women to be attracted to someone rich and famous: “They’ll do anything you want, even letting you grab them by their pussy parts.” That conversation, in 2005, was the entirety that the marchers were responding to. The signage was all about that.
There were some professionally printed signs from various sponsors like the Amplifier Foundation and the 56 “non-partisan” organizations that were listed as “partners” for the march that were funded by George Soros. (Mr, Soros does not fund things directly, he usually hides behind other groups)
Reading more carefully, it becomes clear that the women have no idea what Donald Trump advocates, or what he stands for.They didn’t listen to his inaugural speech and don’t know what he said. They know only that he defeated Hillary and it wasn’t fair because she won the popular vote. They clearly don’t know anything about the Electoral College except that it isn’t fair. What they seem to be interested in is having taxpayers fund their contraceptives and abortions, and preferably their sanitary needs as well. Good grief!
Madonna exclaimed about how angry she was (not about what it was about) and how she had thought about blowing up the White House, although as soon as she heard she would be investigated by the Secret Service, she started backtracking like mad. As far as I can tell, though I haven’t seen transcripts of all the speeches, there is no one that has any understanding of actual issues at all. Do they have any understanding of why Hillary lost?
What on earth does that mean? See how clever, she ran ‘each other’ all together. ‘Womanhood indeed.’
Another. Could any of these messages be any more empty? The women I know are a lot smarter than this. No content, no substance.
Empty posters, purposeless march. But they had a good time. Guys wearing Trump hats had to clean up the mess they left behind.
Filed under: Bureaucracy, Democrat Corruption, Domestic Policy, Environment, Free Markets, Freedom, Global Warming, Junk Science, Law, News of the Weird, Politics, Progressivism, Regulation | Tags: Bovine Flatulence, California, Governor Moonbeam
You have probably learned by now that the great state of California has determined to advance it’s fight against global warming by a serious effort to reduce emissions from bovine flatulence. Yes, cow gas.
Cattle and other farm animals are major sources of methane, a greenhouse gas many times more potent than carbon dioxide as a heat-trapping gas. Methane is released when they belch, pass gas and make manure.
“If we can reduce emissions of methane, we can really help to slow global warming,” said Ryan McCarthy, a science adviser for the California Air Resources Board, which is drawing up rules to implement the new law.
Livestock are responsible for 14.5 percent of human-induced greenhouse gas emissions, with beef and dairy production accounting for the bulk of it, according to a 2013 United Nations report.
California is a the nation’s largest dairy farming state, and dairy farmers are not taking this lying down. This will drive up costs when farms have struggled for five years with drought, low milk prices and rising labor costs. The state has set up $50 million to help dairies set up methane digesters which capture the methane from manure in large storage tanks and convert the gas into electricity. Farmers, who probably understand the cost analysis better than state bureaucrats, say this is not nearly enough to equip the state’s roughly 1,500 dairies. More dairy farmers will move out of the state, following other businesses that are leaving California in droves for states where they are better treated.
The difference this will make with climate issues, probably not measurable, but hope is eternal. Governor Brown’s high speed rail doesn’t seem to be going anywhere at enormous cost. The giant Ivanpah solar project has been a flop. In the wake of the election, some Californians demanded that California secede from the Union, apparently unaware of the results of the last time States decided to secede. That demand led to suggestions that California rejoin Mexico, and good riddance, but Californians didn’t like that either. The “Golden” State continues in its drive to make itself unpopular.
Filed under: Domestic Policy, Election 2016, Humor, Media Bias, News of the Weird, Politics | Tags: Celebrities, Famous for Something or Other, Tiresome and Boring
Feel free to send it to your favorite celebrities.
Filed under: Bureaucracy, Domestic Policy, Environment, Free Markets, Freedom, News of the Weird, Regulation | Tags: Modern Appliances, Moderna, The Do List is Short, The Don't List is Long
Late last night, very late, I must have put something I should not have put down in the disposal. Probably lettuce, because we had a big salad for dinner. Got it unclogged and flowing freely again, but it was clearly time to look up what to put down the disposal and what not to. The Don’t List is long, and includes nothing that is not biodegradable food. Or as someone else said — just put down what you would feed your baby. So why did I buy this appliance?
- Don’t grind glass, plastic, metal or even paper.
- Don’t grind anything combustible.
- Don’t grind cigarette butts
- Don’t pour grease, oil or fat into your garbage disposal or drain. Grease will slowly accumulate and impede your garbage disposal’s grinding ability as well as clog drains.
- Don’t use hot water when grinding food waste. Hot water will cause grease to liquefy and accumulate, causing drains to clog.
- Don’t grind extremely fibrous material like corn husks, celery stalks, onion skins, and artichokes (avoid artichokes like poison), asparagus, carrots Fibers from these can tangle and jam the garbage disposal motor and block drains .
- Don’t turn off the motor or water until grinding is completed. When grinding is complete, turn off the the garbage disposal first. Let water continue to run for at least 15 seconds, flushing out any remaining particles. Then turn off water.
- Don’t put too many potato peels down the garbage disposal. The starches in the potatoes will turn into a thick paste and may cause blades to stick.
- Don’t put large amounts of food down the garbage disposal. Feed food into the garbage disposal a little at a time with the cold water running; this will help the food scraps flow down freely through the drain pipes and plumbing.
- Don’t put expandable foods into your garbage disposal. Foods like pasta and rice expand when you add water in a pot; they do the same thing once inside your pipes or garbage disposal and are the cause of many jams and clogs.
- Don’t grind large animal bones (beef, pork etc.), no shrimp shells. Other lists contain even more no-nos.
- Avoid putting coffee grounds down the garbage disposal. They won’t harm the garbage disposal and they’ll actually help eliminate odors. However, they can accumulate in drains and pipes, causing clogs. Best to avoid. If you don’t have one, buy one of those little screen covers for the drain that keeps bad things from inadvertently going down.
So what can you actually use the expensive little appliance for? Not much. Sour milk, baby food. You can grind up a lemon or orange and rind to make it smell better. Once a month or more often, freeze some vinegar in an ice cube tray and grind that up. The ice will scour the disposal, and keep the blades sharp.
If, in spite of faithfully following the rules, your disposal still gets clogged, Google or Bing will have specific directions for clearing it, but if you have dumped artichoke leaves in, prepare to buy a new disposal. Been there, done that.
The problem is that those little green waste bags made for your city-supplied little green bin, are made from cornstarch and will instantly dissolve at the merest hint of moisture. Things like coffee grounds do make wonderful compost. If you live in a house, buy a small or build a large compost bin. Coffee shops are often happy to have you take used coffee grounds off their hands. If you live in an apartment, there’s no hope. You just have to cope. Consider this my good deed for the day.