Filed under: China, Europe, Military, Statism | Tags: Authoritarian Oddities, Marching Styles, Military Parades.
Why is it that — what shall we call them — more authoritarian forms of government seem to go for goosestep marching? This is clearly perfection of the form, but try it — it’s really hard to do. Give me ordinary American natural marching every time.
The Chinese women are very impressive, but why? Here is the last big American victory parade in New York City at the end of World War II, which I find very moving.
Here are the Germans, circa WWII. I never understood the reason for the goosestep. Looks odd, and must be hard.
Share this post!
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)