Filed under: Democrat Corruption, Foreign Policy, Iraq, Islam, Military, National Security, Terrorism, The United States | Tags: Barack Obama's Response, The Brutality of ISIS, Understanding the Threat
Stating it plainly, David French laid it out in six sentences at NRO:
- Al-Qaeda carried out the deadliest attack on American soil in American history and the most devastating foreign attack against an American city since the British occupied and burned Washington in the War of 1812.
- ISIS is more brutal than al-Qaeda.
- ISIS has more financial resources than al-Qaeda.
- ISIS controls more territory—and possesses more firepower —than al-Qaeda.
- ISIS has seized uranium in sufficient quantities to make a dirty bomb.
- The leader of ISIS told his American captors: “See you in New York,” and ISIS militants have pledged to rise the black flag of jihad over the White House.
I would add that large numbers of the Islamic State fighters have been recruited from European countries and the United States and Canada — they have passports. The 9/11 terrorists came in on ordinary passports, they didn’t find it necessary to cross a border surreptitiously, though our currently open borders must be tempting.
“Brutal” isn’t a strong enough word. The Islamic State is recruiting by encouraging a kind of blood lust. Come join us and chop off people’s heads, whatever you ever wanted to do, in your wildest fantasies, to your enemies — come and let us fantasize together.
And now we learn that Obama dithered for a month after the rescue mission was planned. We have been told that the captured Americans were not where intelligence thought they were — was that information from before or after the month of dithering?